Sunday, February 7, 2010

Drapery for Grace's Room - A Work in Progress

As with most rooms in my home, they are a work in progress...and so it is with Grace's room. Once again, with store-bought bedding not appealing to me, I take on the challenge of sewing my own custom bedding and window treatments. Deciding on a color palette was by far the most challenging thing I've had to do so far. I didn't want the standard pink and purple decor, and loathe the idea of a themed room like Barbie or the Disney Princesses, so I set out on my own to invision something exciting. After deciding on a bold color palette, the kids and I got started...and yes, I said the kids and I. They are always a lot of help, and I've learned that if I involve them, things tend to go smoother for me :)


When making long drapery, it is wise to just spread everything out in a wide open area - I chose my entry way, as usual. Walker helped me smooth out the coral colored fabric, and mark off cut and hem lines for two large panels...
Then he helped roll out the lining...
Grace did the cutting... (not really, but she thought she was really being a big helper!)
The fun part was left up to me...the sewing. These panels are 108" long, completed, so they were quite a hand full, literally, to sew up. I managed, and though I don't have the rest of the window treatment sewed up yet, they are now serving their original purpose in her room - to block out sunlight when she naps :) For now, they look like a huge wall of orange, but it's only temporary. Once I install tie-backs and sew up a top layer for the upper part of the window, they'll look like they came straight out of a magazine...

No comments: