Sunday, January 31, 2010
For starters, here are the curtains that I whipped up for my kitchen windows. They are mostly along the back-side of the house, which catches full sunlight. I love how they sparkle when the outside light shines through the trim on these babies just right.
I loved the dark chocolate brown, golds, and the garnet colors in this fabric. I know the fabric is heavy, but I fell in love with it at first touch. It compliments every other color used in decorating the surrounding rooms, and ties in perfectly. I lined them in a coordinating garnet silk dupioni fabric that I used to make the drapes that flank either side of the fireplace mantle in the downstairs living area.
Oh, and I'm not too proud to admit that there are several safety pins holding some of these trumpets in their place...
I omitted the expensive trim from the curtain hanging over my kitchen sink, as it is a west-facing window and gets minimal lighting. Noone ever even notices :)
You would never guess that all of this trim is hot glued on, would you? ...the only quick and easy part of making these window treatments.
Monday, January 11, 2010
Saturday, January 2, 2010
It really wasn't all that difficult - I'd say maybe a 1 on a scale of 1-5 :) I just wired two different sized grapevine wreaths that I already had in my craft arsenal together like this...
Easy. Then, I hot glued 2 leaf garlands that I picked up for 1/2 off at Hobby Lobby onto the grapevine in a circular pattern. Simple.
I didn't want a traditional metal wreath hanger scraping up the paint on my front door, so I took about 1 yard of my favorite 5" wired ribbon, again from the craft stash, and looped it around the top center of my wreath. Stapling the ribbon to the top of the actual door was the most difficult part of this project for me - even on a step ladder, I was barely tall enough to get the staples in deep enough. I wound up taking my hammer and tapping them in all of the way to ensure they were flush with the door and not making contact with the door frame. Using the same wired ribbon, I made a simple bow and literally safety pinned it to the center front of the hanging ribbon.
Easy. Simple. Done. Granted, my wreath was nothing elaborate, but for a busy mother with twin toddlers and limited time on my hands, it was just perfect. All in all, the entire project took less than 1/2 an hour to complete, I only cost me, out of pocket, $14.99 for the swags. Not bad if I do say so myself!
Life with Austin and the twins is like being in a 24/7 cage-match... he and I just tag one another in when we need a break! I'm very thankful that he's so hands-on and awesome with the kids. It turns out that this parenting gig is waaay more challenging that the pamphlet made it out to be!
This year, I make a solemn resolve to TRY to post once a week, (or so..) For now, I leave you with this picture of my little stinkers: